[Python Wpg] Introducing myself

Kevin Veroneau kveroneau at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 05:24:44 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

  My name is Kevin, and I recently came into contact with Python a few
months ago, however I knew about it for a long period prior.  I first began
by creating small test applications in GTK+, QT3, and Glade to begin
learning the basics of the language.  I come from an extensive programming
background, with such known languages as PHP, BASIC, SQL, Pascal, and
others.  Lately, I have been using mod_python on Apache to develop websites
and have since stopped using PHP.

  Are there any future meetings being planned?  According to the mailing
list page on python.org, the meetings have unfortunately came to a halt.  An
interesting subject for such a meeting would be replacing PHP/ASP/JSP web
applications with that of mod_python or even Google's App Engine.  From a
security and efficient code stand point, I see Python being the better
solution.  It is also much easier to do Model-view-controller development
process using mod_python, and rather Python in general.  My most recent
project for a client who is running a gaming community, which are rather
popular these days, is a Logistics system done completely in mod_python with
a mere few months of experience with it.  It was also developed rather
rapidly, a mere 12 hours of development time, the first 8 hours were
planning, templating, and coding the basic logic.  The last 4 hours were
used to add the Access Control Lists.  I would highly recommend mod_python
to any Apache developer, as it takes full takes of your Apache server by
creating your own Handlers in Python.  You can view a demo of this Logistics
System via my personal portfolio website(also developed using mod_python).
Links are below to both mod_python and my personal portfolio website:

http://www.modpython.org/
http://www.iamkevin.ca/

  If anyone is curious about mod_python, I can definitely provide examples
and additional help, as the mod_python manual only scratches on the surface
of what it has potential to do.  Also, mod_python is is no way using CGI
interfaces, the Apache server literally "imports" the python modules you
design and runs them in it's process under a new thread, this is much more
efficient than CGI, and as seen by my Logistics and Homepage, creates very
swift websites.  Logistics alone has multiple MySQL calls per request and
still manages to be very fast during navigation.  If you are currently using
Python through CGI and are using Apache on Linux or Mac, give mod_python a
try, you will definitely be amazed at how much quicker your applications
will run.

Kevin.