[Python Wpg] Winnipeg Python Users Group September meeting

Stuart Williams stuart at swilliams.ca
Tue Sep 22 21:48:29 EDT 2009

Fall is here and it's time for the Winnipeg Python Users Group to
start up again, but we won't meet tomorrow night, September 23rd.  The
organizers didn't get organized in time, we don't have a room or a
presentation, and some of us aren't able to attend due to conflicts.

However, I also think it's time to step back and reflect on the group.
 The catch 22 is it's hard to reflect when meeting attendance is
fairly low.

We have 53 members on the mailing list and I estimate that 20 to 30
people have attended from 1 and 5 times in the past 3.5 years, but
usual attendance rarely tops half a dozen.

This is not necessarily a problem.  The nature of and demand for local
technical user groups has changed quite a bit in the last 15 years.  I
think having 53 people in Winnipeg who identify themselves as being
somewhat interested in Python and who can be reached with relevant
announcements that they would like to receive is a good thing.

I suggest try answering the following questions, starting with an
introduction or re-introduction of yourself and your interest in
Python.

Are you interested in meetings?  Is the time or location bad?  Would a
noon-hour meeting downtown work better?  Do you want to hear
presentations, work on projects, or something else?

Here are my answers:

I'm a Software Developer in the financial services industry.  I use
Python at work.  I have taught Python to high school students, to
university students, and to other software developers at PyCon.  I'm
one of the organizers of the Winnipeg Python Users Group.

I enjoy the meetings and usually attend.  The time and location are
OK, although daytime downtown would be better for me.  I enjoy hearing
presentations on new topics, preparing presentations, and working on
projects - no strong preference in any particular direction.

Stuart.