[Python Wpg] Security at UW

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 16:25:10 EDT 2007

Sara Arenson wrote:
> I disagree. Someone threatened to "shoot up" the university today. I'm willing
> to endure a bag search if it means that we're less likely to see another
> Virginia Tech. Yes, I know that this was graffiti and may have just been a very
> sick joke, but it was still a concrete threat: Sept. 26, shooting. I think it
> would have been wrong of the university not to step up security with such a
> concrete threat. It would have been irresponsible, negligent, with regards to
> our safety. I'm glad to see that the University is trying to prevent a
> potential attack, although I'm concerned that there are ways to get around this
> bag searching measure, for example, I suppose someone could have stashed a gun
> in their locker without anyone knowing.

	Simplest way to avoid the situation is to take Scotts suggestion and
meet at the pub. The threat wasn't made about that location. This way
the only one of the specifics mentioned which will still remain is the date.

	Although I'd like to see everybody again there has been a number of
unfortunate events this month. On top of everything I have been ill for
the last couple of days. Maybe next month.

				Later
				Mike