[Python Wpg] Just hook it up to my veins

Sydney Weidman syd at plug.ca
Mon Oct 29 08:24:05 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 15:18 +0800, Aaron Klaassen wrote:
> So...after lurking on this mailing list for the better part of two
> years (I even went to a meeting once!), I've finally got some time on
> my hands and I figure I should pick up this "Python" thing that
> everybody's talking about.
>
> Any suggestions for specific online tutorials (or books that are worth
> the dollars)? I'm not a new programmer, just new to Python (I've
> mostly been a C/Java/php guy). I mean, I can type "python tutorial"
> into Google as well as the next guy, but maybe someone here can
> suggest something that would save me the digging around for something
> worthwhile.
>
> Thanks.
> Aaron.

The two online tutorials that I found most helpful were:

Think Like a Computer Scientist, Python version:

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

And although it has not been updated since 2004, Dive Into Python should
also be helpful:

http://www.diveintopython.org/toc/index.html

I've also grown very fond of O'Reilly's Python Cookbook recently, which
provides hundreds of examples of how to solve typical programming
problems in Pythonic ways.

And then, of course, there's Stuart's various introductory talks which
are all excellent.

Hope this helps.

- syd