[Python Wpg] October meeting

Mike Pfaiffer mpfaiffer at callapple.org
Thu Sep 28 12:13:12 EDT 2006

	Last night we were talking about what we were going to do for next month. I
guess since I'm at the computer early today I may as well start off. We are
going to be talking about Python IDEs. Those of us who are comfortable with
public speaking are going to give presentations on what we've tried/used. We
are going to coordinate what we are doing here so there is no overlap during
the presentation.

	I've looked at a number of them and found I'm most comfortable with a program
called IDLE. Since it sounds like I'm probably the only one using it I'll do
this one. It's fairly simple so the presentation shouldn't be too long (I
think about five minutes, but allocate 15 to be safe). If we are going to go
from simple to complex then this presentation should be one of the first.

	Would it be possible for someone who is bringing in a Linux laptop to install
IDLE and bring it to the meeting? I'll do a couple short "hello world"
programs on the fly to illustrate some of the features in the program.

	If anyone wants to do a short presentation Stuart, Syd, Scott, and I rattled
off a few environments at the end of the meeting. There is Eric, PyPE,
Ipython, kate (more of an editor), emacs, vi, KDevelop, SPE, and pida. There
are more I can't remember. Stake your claim so someone with a working printer
can put the presentations in order. Best start looking at the environments
early so there is more to talk about. ;-)

				Later
				Mike

P.S. Good presentation Jason. Scott, could you e-mail me the source of the
first file from last night. I've an application I'm working on which could
use it. Why reinvent the wheel?

|Call-A.P.P.L.E. and the Digital Civilization http://www.callapple.org |
|   http://members.shaw.ca/pfaiffer = Mike Pfaiffer (B.A., B.Sc.)      |