[Python Wpg] Survey of potential new meeting times

Mike Pfaiffer mpfaiffer at callapple.org
Thu Jan 12 20:35:18 EST 2006

On January 12, 2006 05:43 pm, Stuart Williams wrote this amazing epistle:
> We need to find a new time to meet, other than Tuesdays at noon.  For
> now let's assume the same day and time every month, and one that
> hopefully works for everyone that's interested so far.  My guess is
> we'll have to move to an evening slot.

 That seems to be the consensus of the people I've been talking with.

> Please send me email with times that generally work for you for
> weekday evenings, weekday lunch hours, and weekends.  Please include
> which weeks in the month work, and put all the time slots in order of
> your preference.  Please don't leave any slots out unless you are
> unable or unwilling to come during those slots or it will skew the
> sorting.  For evenings please include the earliest and latest that
> work for you.
>
> For example, I might give this list:
>
> 1st preference: 3rd or 4th Tuesday evening 6:30 to 10:00 p.m.
> 2nd preference: Any Wed or Thu evening 6:30 to 10:00 p.m.
> 3rd preference: 12 noon Mon-Thu.
> 4th preference: Any Sat. 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

 Assuming the recent study about needing a couple of hours to get going in the
morning is true my schedule preferences would be Monday - Saturday Noon -
10:00pm (depending on bus service or a ride). The exceptions would be the
times and dates coinciding with the MWCS (first Tuesday evening) and MUUG
(second Tuesday evening except next month). If the same day of the month is
used it's not a problem. I need about a weeks notice (especially toward the
end of the month - my articles are generally due on the 28'th) to free up
time otherwise.

> I suggest you email this information to me and I'll compile and post
> the results.

 Since the times I listed coincide with my general schedule (and there's
always somebody home), here they are.

> If anyone wants to write a Python script to do this sorting, it
> implies volunteering to present the code as the March presentation.

 Sort of dividing it into blocks with a mod up and a mod down... I'd do it,
but I don't know enough Python to do it at the moment. I'd be working in
Pascal or Applesoft BASIC (those I could whip out in 20 minutes). My concern
would be how fast I could get it done rather than what's popular. A
spreadsheet would be quicker yet...

> Stuart.

    Later
    Mike