[Python Wpg] Wednesday February 22, 7:30 meeting

Stuart Williams stuartw at mts.net
Tue Feb 21 09:33:36 EST 2006

> Subject: [Python Wpg] Wednesday February 22, 7:30 meeting

> * A program to determine when to hold a meeting based on individual
> time preferences. I submitted this to the list in the past when we
> were trying to determine a meeting time. Stewart, I never found out
> if you used this or not.

I did!  It was handy.

I made a few changes for data entry.

First I changed this:
    {
        'day' : 'Tue',
        'ofMonth' : (3,4),
        'startTime' : '16:00',
        'endTime' : '22:00'
    },

to this:

   dict(day = 'Tue', ofMonth = (3,4), startTime = '16:00', endTime = '22:00'),

Next I changed it to this even more compact easier to type format:

s = """
User Name
 Tue 34   16:00 22:00
 Wed 34   16:00 22:00
"""

which I parsed thusly:

for line in s.split('\n')[1:-1]:        # drop first and last empties
    if line.startswith(' '):
        day, ofMonth, startTime, endTime = line.split()
        ofMonth = tuple( [int(m) for m in tuple(ofMonth)] )
        priorities_for_each_person.setdefault(name, []).append(
            dict(day = day, ofMonth = ofMonth,
                 startTime = startTime, endTime = endTime))
    else:
        name = line.strip()

Stuart.