[Wheel-builders] Wheel files for PPC64le

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue Feb 14 03:30:30 EST 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 2:54 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Sorry for the delayed reply (I've been travelling for the past few weeks and
> hence only intermittently polling various mailing lists).
>
> While your approach seems basically sound to me, the main challenge I see
> here is that it means the ppc64le manylinux1 build environment will be
> starkly different from that for other architectures. That's not necessarily
> an insurmountable problem, but it does mean that the main folks you need
> agreement from are the https://github.com/pypa/manylinux/ maintainers.

I don't think we'd have any objections, but I don't think we'd be able
to help much either. The current infrastructure for the manylinux
docker images etc. is dependent on Travis-CI to run the builds, and
Travis-CI obviously doesn't provide any support for ppc64le builds. So
you're going to need your own PEP, your own image build scripts, and
your own infrastructure to run them. The only thing that can obviously
be shared is the pypa docker repository for distributing the final
images; we can get you access there when you're ready if you do decide
to go the docker route.

Possibly it would be less confusing to use a different name for these,
like ppc64lelinux1 or something? If only to cut down on the number of
times you have to explain why it's okay that ppc64le is still using
manylinux1 when x86{,-64} has moved on to manylinux2.

-n