[Wheel-builders] Problem with "too-recent versioned symbols"

Lele Gaifax lele at metapensiero.it
Sat Aug 19 06:15:34 EDT 2017

Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> writes:

> While it won't answer the "how", it may be worth trying adding this to
> see if you can keep it from happening:
>
>     #ifdef __GLIBC__
>     __asm__(".symver memcpy,memcpy at GLIBC_2.2.5");
>     #endif

Yes, I thought about that, after reading the recent "Building manylinux1
wheels with newer toolchains" thread in this ML: I will try and report back.

> Beyond that, reading
> https://github.com/joerick/cibuildwheel/blob/master/cibuildwheel/linux.py
> means I share the confusion as to *how* you could be picking up a
> newer glibc version (unless there's a bug in the manylinux1 docker
> images themselves)

Yeah, but there's a double strangeness: I also tried to do the "build&repair"
steps on my local machine, within a quay.io/pypa/manylinux1_x86_64 container
(that AFAICT is the same image used by Travis CI itself)[1], where everything
went smooth, producing a working Py36 manylinux1 wheel, ... weird!

Thank you,
ciao, lele.

[1] thanks to Nathaniel for the thread "Heads-up re: new kernel
    configurations...", that finally explained why I wasn't able to get even a
    prompt... :)
lele at metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.