[Wheel-builders] Problem with "too-recent versioned symbols"

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 09:40:42 EDT 2017

On 18 August 2017 at 19:41, Lele Gaifax <lele at metapensiero.it> wrote:
> * I tried to wander around the problematic commit trying out several different
>   approaches and trialing various assumptions, without luck: my last
>   attempt[3] (for today...) seems to prove that it's not the -D option the
>   cause

D'oh, after reading the first problematic commit, the "define_macros"
argument to Extension was going to be my suggestion for a possible
culprit, since I wasn't sure if it might have any side effects. But
you already tried removing it again, with no improvement :(

The only outlandish idea I can offer is to wonder whether or not gcc
was seeing the "version.h", assuming it meant the kernel header, and
implicitly setting some flags that changed the default linker
behaviour (I'm aware that suggestion makes no sense, but neither does
the behaviour you're seeing).

Beyond that, all I can personally offer is the suggestion to look into
whether or not you can get ciwheelbuilder and/or auditwheel to tell
exactly *what* symbols are coming from the wrong version of *which*
library.

Cheers,
Nick.