[Wheel-builders] BLAS/LAPACK for manylinux1 wheels

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Mar 9 18:30:51 EST 2016

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 11:28 PM, Stéfan van der Walt
<stefanv at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> On 7 March 2016 at 17:27, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>> Result: IIUC an incantation like this should work to upload manylinux1
>> wheels to pypi, right now:
>>
>> twine upload -r warehouse.python.org *-manylinux1*.whl
>
> Unfortunately not. First, there's a bug in twine that won't let you
> use warehouse.python.org, but even after that is fixed they've removed
> the upload endpoint.

On further investigation, it looks like this isn't quite true, it's
just that uploading is very obscure. Specifically what you have to do
is

1) Create a ~/.pypirc with contents like

[distutils]
index-servers =
    pypi
    warehouse

[pypi]
username:XXX
password:XXX

[warehouse]
repository:https://warehouse.python.org/pypi
username:XXX
password:XXX

2) Upload with a command like: twine -r warehouse upload ...

Two further issues we noticed:

a) Somehow Stéfan got a wheel whose platform tag was the
'linux_x86_64.manylinux1_x86_64' (I guess auditwheel did this?).
That's wrong -- it should just be 'manylinux1_x86_64' (because
warehouse will reject uploads like 'linux_x86_64.manylinux1_x86_64',
and because the 'linux' tag claims that it works on *all* linuxes, so
even if you were allowed to upload it then it would just break
people's systems).

b) Once we got past that there's some bug that causes an error message
like "HTTPError: 400 Client Error: requires: Invalid Requirement. for
url: https://warehouse.python.org/pypi". Not sure what's going on with
that yet -- initial impression is that it's some sort of bug in
warehouse's attempt to validate the Requires: or Requires-Dist: fields
in the wheel. It's been reported upstream.

If anyone out there wants to start uploading your own manylinux1
wheels, then feel free to give it a try and let us know how it goes
:-). There's some chance you'll hit the requirements bug, but then
again, you might not.

-n