[Wheel-builders] BLAS/LAPACK for manylinux1 wheels

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 13:53:34 EST 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 4:56 AM, Olivier Grisel <olivier.grisel at ensta.org> wrote:
> If we can run all the scipy stack tests (say for instance numpy,
> scipy, pandas, scikit-learn, scikit-image, statsmodel) with the
> openblas built on the manylinux1 docker image using Matthew's script
> on a variety of boxes, then I am fine with using openblas. If running
> the tests reveals unresolved bugs / crashes in OpenBLAS, then I think
> we should go with atlas in the short term and re-examine that decision
> in a couple of months.

At the moment, we know of
https://github.com/xianyi/OpenBLAS/issues/783 which is not yet fixed
in master.

I see that Zhang Xianyi has set up OpenBLAS buildbot runs already:

https://github.com/xianyi/OpenBLAS/issues/785

I guess we could add to those with nightly build / test runs.

We need to decide what to do now though.  Should we work on building
up some heavy-duty CI to convince ourselves OpenBLAS is reliable and
commit after that, or should we accept the risk now, on the basis that
we will have some chance of errors / crashes?

> Matthew, FYI to run docker in travis, you just need to enable the
> docker service in .travis.yml:
>
> services:
>   - docker
>
> as done in: https://github.com/pypa/manylinux/blob/master/.travis.yml#L3
>
> Then you can use the docker command line to run or build containers
> within a travis job.

Thanks - yes - should have thought of that one.

> Let me know if you extend your scripts to build and upload wheels for
> the missing projects (scikit-learn, scikit-image, statsmodel and
> maybe others). I can run the tests on some cloud VMs and a couple of
> old and newer workstations at my work.

I would love to work out some good way of setting up CI for this - a
conversation or thread would help a lot - I'm proceeding in a rather
ad-hoc way at the moment.

Cheers,

Matthew