[Wheel-builders] libpythonX.Y.so.1

Nate Coraor nate at bx.psu.edu
Fri Mar 4 17:02:18 EST 2016

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Olivier Grisel <olivier.grisel at ensta.org>
wrote:

> > IIRC, there is an open PR to pip (https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/3497).
> I think adding your voice there might help move it along. I think that PR
> is ready to merge, but just lacking the last necessary push from a pip
> maintainer to merge it.
>
> If you manage to build manylinux1 wheels for psycopg2 it would be
> great to publish them to a public URL and report that you can install
> them successfully on various linux versions (e.g. old and recent
> debian, ubuntu, fedora, arch...) using this branch of pip.
>
> It would also be great to test on non-compatible variant of linux
> (e.g. alpine linux) that this version of pip ignores those manylinux1
> wheels as expected.

> I think that would help convince the pip maintainers that this PR is
> ready for merge.

So this wasn't really required now that it's been merged, but I wanted to
prove for my own sake that these wheels are going to work. Indeed they did,
with flying colors. psycopg2 wheels built on the modified manylinux1 image
(modified to include UCS-2 Python builds) and assembled with auditwheel
install and work (with SSL!) on as-bare-as-possible images of Debian 7 and
8, Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04, Fedora 21, CentOS 6 and 7, openSUSE 13.2, and
refused to install on Alpine. I tested with as many "standard" Python and
setuptools versions as possible (e.g. Python 2 and 3 from APT on Debianish
systems; standard 2.6 plus 2.7 and 3.3 from SCL on CentOS 6, standard 2.7
plus 3.3 from EPEL on CentOS 7, etc.).

None of these standard builds are UCS-2, so it would be good to test the
wheels on some of these systems with a UCS-2 Python, but I ran out of time
for that. It would probably be a decent idea to test them with Enthought
and Anaconda as well.

Wheels are here:

  https://depot.galaxyproject.org/nate/wheelhouse/

Build/test scripts/logs are here:

  https://gist.github.com/natefoo/dae16c8669388cd20406

And I PR'd the changes for UCS-2 Python builds in the Docker image:

  https://github.com/pypa/manylinux/pull/35

--nate