[Wheel-builders] Building wheels for projects that depend on NumPy?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Jul 21 20:12:22 EDT 2016

Yeah, if you build against numpy version X, and some other package builds
against numpy version Y, then your packages will both with with numpy
version Z if
  Z >= X and Z >= X

(This is speaking specifically about extensions that use the numpy C api of
course -- for packages that just use the numpy python api then it doesn't
matter what version you build against.)

What you should also do, but currently most people don't do and we need
better tooling for, is to make sure that if you build against numpy version
X then your wheel should have a versioned dependency on numpy >= X.

-n