[Wheel-builders] Making it easy for every package publisher to create multi-os wheels

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 13:49:53 EDT 2016

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 6:35 AM, Philippe Ombredanne
<pombredanne at nexb.com> wrote:
> Dear wheelers:
> What if we came with a blessed and maintained way to easily create
> wheels for Python packagers that would with minimal efforts build on
> Linux, Mac and Windows? I know there are many efforts to handle this
> for Mac, for many Linux, for Windows with various build environments.
> Some are trying to support also Mac and Linux....

Yes, https://github.com/matthew-brett/multibuild supports OSX and
Linux, it's used now by most scientific Python packages and some more.

Some repos (e.g numpy) match that with an appveyor script so they can
build all the wheels in one shot.

For us scientific types, the lack of an open-source-compatible Fortran
compiler on Windows is currently a show-stopper, hence the lack of
development there.

Cheers,

Matthew