[Wheel-builders] manylinux vagrant box

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sun Apr 17 19:51:15 EDT 2016

On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Max Linke <max_linke at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has anybody build a vagrant manylinux box yet? There has been a short
> discussion about this already on the older google groups mailing list [1]
>
> Vagrant is a tool to easily create and share virtual machines similar to
> docker. Vagrant spins up a whole virtual machine using VirtualBox, KVM, etc
> instead of just a container.
>
> Personally I think vagrant is easier to use for beginners and for
> development since it is designed as a way to easily share development
> environments.

Docker is pretty easy too, at least from linux -- spinning up a
manylinux environment is just "sudo apt install docker.io && sudo
docker run -ti quay.io/pypa/manylinux1_x86_64 bash". But I haven't
tried using docker on other platforms (though I know it's possible to
install docker somehow), and I haven't tried using vagrant at all :-).

Given my ignorance, I'd be interested to hear more about what makes
you excited about vagrant!

> I want to create a vagrant box to build conda packages anyway. I'm willing
> to also make the box so that wheels can be build (I don't have much
> experience with them yet) and share and maintain the scripts to build the
> boxes with you if you are interested.

The more the merrier :-). And the conda linux and manylinux build
environments are *very* similar.

AFAIK the only real difference between them is that when you're
targeting conda you can assume that the conda version of libstdc++ is
already present, and conda's libstdc++ is newer than the version of
libstdc++ you're allowed to assume is present when distributing
manylinux wheels (which is just whatever is installed on the system).
This almost never matters though: the compilers that ship with the
manylinux image can handle any version of C++ up to C++11, and will
work fine for both conda and manylinux packages. Or, if you really
need support for C++14, then you can always use a newer compiler and
then use auditwheel to bundle your newer version of libstdc++ in with
your wheel.

-n