[UserGroup-Advocacy] Recommendations

Chris McAvoy chris.mcavoy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 18:33:41 CEST 2007

Hi All,

Given that the IRC meeting didn't go off as planned, here are my
recommendations for direction of this working group:

1) Build a web application that allows PUG's to register themselves.
http://wiki.python.org/moin/LocalUserGroups is a good, easy start, but
we need it to be a little nicer.  At a minimum, the application should
mirror the sign up at O'Reilly (http://ug.oreilly.com/).  This allows
us to know who to contact when the the PSF, or python.org wants to
filter information out to the usergroups.

2) Discuss a welcome kit.  When a user group signs up for the first
time, what can we send them?

3) A how to start a user group document.  I thought I had seen an
article request on http://wiki.python.org/moin/ArticleIdeas, but I
can't find it now.  I think Jeff Rush picked it up?  Obviously he's a
good guy to write the article, as Dallas has a really strong Python
User Group, and they're a good model for how to be successful.  If I'm
wrong about this, then we need to identify someone to work on this
sort of article.

That's all I have for now.  I think those suggestions are in line with
what we talked about at the BoF.  The only change I made was
converting the user group audit to a user group sign up app.  I made a
half-hearted attempt at a user group audit, but I think the time is
better spent building a simple sign up web app.

Chris