[Types-sig] Indirect, Explicit Interface

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 00:38:07 -0800

"Clark C. Evans" wrote:

> In any case, as a newbie user, I think I like arguments
> not having type markers like C and Java.  Type markers
> clutter everything up.  Also, variable names are often
> useless in an interface... so I was thinking type names
> would be better here.

My feeling is exactly opposite. Parameter *names* are more important for
figuring out how to use a parameter because given the name you can often
figure out the type but the reverse is not true. Plus, Python has a
keyword arguments feature that allows values to change their order.
Also, names are what you refer to from the documentation.

In my declaration grammar, types are optional but names are required.
The "default type" is "Anything."

--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.
Python Cookbook!  http://www.activestate.com/pythoncookbook