[Types-sig] Type Annotations Progress report

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:25:47 -0800

Tim Peters wrote:

> Paul, you know the rule:  each time this SIG reincarnates, the first msg
> announcing an actual implementation kills it again <0.7 wink>.

It has been kind of quiet today. :)

> args should be a tuple of IStrings, right?

Yeah, adding type declarations at 4:00 in the morning is not the kind of
thing that holds my attention.

> mostly-a-type-system-exists-to-help-programmers-debug-type-
>     declarations<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim

Static typing fans will point out that ML wouldn't have let my errors
past the compiler. I would counter by pointing out that this file passed
the standard test suite so the flaw is really with the lack of coverage
of the suite and not with my type system per se. :)

I *would* counter with that but I don't want to get stuck with the job
of writing test_os.py. It would be almost as exciting as adding the type
declarations. :)

--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.
Python Cookbook!  http://www.activestate.com/pythoncookbook