[Types-sig] Re: Revive the types sig?

Daniel Wang danwang@CS.Princeton.EDU
13 Mar 2001 13:44:57 -0500

Jeremy Hylton <jeremy@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> It seems that what we would want is Python -> OCaml or ML2000 than
> Python -> ML.  Are you familiar with any work of this sort?
>
> Jeremy

 http://vyper.sourceforge.net/

Got, some useful code you could steal. I'm sure. The main problem however
is that the semantics of Python with respect to scoping rules make this a
real pain to get right. If you make some simplifying assumptions wrt scoping
rules and modules this is probably a very do able hack.

OCaml is probably easier to do given the polymorphic varaints and other such
niceties, but I'd personally just rewrite all my code in OCaml rather than
running Python code. :) (Though Python does have some nice syntax....)