[Types-sig] What is the Essence of Python? (Was: Low-hanging fruit: recognizing builtins)

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 18:51:54 -0800

"Golden, Howard" wrote:

> I reiterate that we should define what is the essence of Python, so we know
> what sort of dynamicism and flexibility we are trying to preserve, and what
> is superfluous.  Until we do this, we are dealing with a squishy set of
> requirements.

I think that that is always the case in language design. What one person
hates is what another loves: even in Python! I don't know how to answer
your question. I think that we can only argue about particular features
"when we get to them."

Most people probably do not use dynamicity to the same extent as the
real power users but on the other hand they are the ones who are most
fanatical about the language.

Three things to be wary of: A new kid in his prime
A man who knows the answers, and code that runs first time
http://www.geezjan.org/humor/computers/threes.html