[Tutor] louis renton

paulf at quillandmouse.com paulf at quillandmouse.com
Sun Jan 22 22:29:54 EST 2023

On Sun, 22 Jan 2023 17:31:41 -0700
Mats Wichmann <mats at wichmann.us> wrote:

[snip]

> see all the furor about ChatGPT... some think it will make
> programmers obsolete because "AI will write your code for you,
> eliminating all the need for deep knowledge". But StackOverflow,
> which has its own detractors, bans answers generated by ChatGPT...

I love claims like that. Back in the day, drum machines were going to
replace drummers. And CDs would replace vinyl. Neither happened. Yes,
drum machines are more common today. Yes, there are more CDs printed
than vinyl records. But drummers and vinyl records are still around.

I'm sure ChatGPT can produce working, maybe even optimized code. But
there will still be programmers as long as there are computers.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
Personal Blog: http://noferblatz.com