[Tutor] grid manager question

Phil phillor9 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 23:36:20 EST 2023

On 14/2/23 13:33, David wrote:

> An App() class is one way to provide namespacing. It's not the only way.
Thank you David for taking the time to reply, it's greatly appreciated.

> If you are getting zero benefit from using an App() class, but it makes you
> have to write 'self.' in front of oodles of variables where that otherwise
> wouldn't be required, why clutter up your code with it?

OOP programming offers several advantages and two that I can remember at
the moment are:

An app class can be extended to add new functionality.

An app class can be used as a template. I try to create classes that can
be imported into a new project. I suppose another advantage is code
reusability.

> Anyway, I'm going to drop that topic now. I only brought it up because
> you seem to be somewhat lost in the weeds and I'm trying to help you
> clarify and focus on what's important.

"Lost in the weeds" is accurate.

> If you don't do that, then I will realise that my approach to helping you
> does not suit you, it will stop, and that's fine. Good luck!
Not at all accurate. If I don't ask any further questions about custom
widgets then that means that I can take it from here. In other words
muddle along until something works as expected.

> My goal in replying to you today is to have you feel 100% confident about
> every part of your code. Your code. Own it!

I like things be correct. Just because something works doesn't mean that
it's correct, and I often struggle with that.

Anyway, thanks again David for your advice.

--

Regards,
Phil