[Tutor] Can't use packages in newly installed python 3.11.3

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 11 14:02:48 EDT 2023

On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 18:15:36 +0200, Torbjörn Svensson Diaz
<torbjorn.svensson.diaz at gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>I also have Python 3.10.6 installed and when I use that instead, I have
>no problems importing numpy and scipy. Also, according to pip3 I have
>numpy 1.21.5 and scipy 1.8.0 installed. (I ran "pip3 list".)
>What can i do to make my installed packages work in Python 3.11.3? Is it
>a flaw to have two python 3s installed at the same time? What am I to
>do? Please help me out!

	Numpy and Scipy (and pretty much anything one installs with pip) are
3rd-party packages, handled by other developers. As such, they may not be
compatible with newer releases of Python -- or won't be compatible until
some months later.

	FYI: my Python 3.10 install uses numpy 1.24.2, and scipy 1.10.1 -- the
versions you have installed are quite old.

	I had tried installing Python 3.11 a few weeks ago, but pip was unable
to install numpy for that version. Numpy github page implies that 1.24.2
supports Python 3.8 to 3.11; it appears to have been released Feb 5 -- but
(I'm on Windows) pip binaries may not have been available -- don't know
about your OS; it may build from source files. I also don't know where
Linux would store the packages. Windows stores them in a subdirectory of
the installed Python version; as a result, different Python installs have
their own packages and you'd have to run pip install using the pip from the
new Python version to add the compatible packages.