[Tutor] Pen plotter data format

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Sat Apr 1 00:29:24 EDT 2023

On 01Apr2023 13:59, Phil <phillor9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 1/4/23 13:19, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>>Yeah, the termination is pretty weird. But is Phil generating HP-GL or
>>trying to parse it? Generating is much easier because you can be nice
>>and regular. Parsing has to handle some flexible termination.
>
>I'm generating the gcode from SVG files. I've settled on inkscape to
>generate the images.

Ha! The HPGL job was a code demo for a contract with Inkscape. Didn't
pan out, alas. They seemed happy with the code I made for the
interview/challenge.

So, you've got a g-code file you want to plot on one system, and the RPi
connected to that system (serial cable?) controlling your lego based
plotter? And you're designing the protocol to go over the serial cable?

It's perfectly possible to have a text dialogue over the serial cable.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>