[Tutor] Communicating (was: Create command)

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 16:30:54 EDT 2022

Programming is a skill, as is teaching. Just because someone knows programming, does not mean they can teach it well or even say it well.

When someone new comes to the list, and often that is displayed by the question(s) they ask, it might be better for the community that those who have *both* Python and Teaching skills answer. For the more advanced questioner, or those who have been here a while, and who understand the mix of cultures and personalities, maybe those who are still working on their communication skills can jump in.

I am not a perfect teacher, but I do understand the difference between talking about something and helping someone else learn.

Leam

On 9/22/22 13:21, Steve Willoughby wrote:
> Personally, I think a tutor list should be as friendly to people seeking tutorial (i.e. beginner-level) help as they try to figure out Python, even if it’s their first experience with programming, while at the same time holding firm on our position of offering advice without doing homework for them.
>
> What concerned me most about Dominique’s request was the thought that a teacher was expecting her to complete an assignment without adequately preparing her to understand what was needed. (Of course, if this was a case of her working on her own to learn Python using exercises she found on her own, then bravo for being self-motivated and maybe it would be good to start with one of the tutorial books or websites that will give a gentle introduction to it all up front.) I didn’t mind that she was looking here for help, although my response was to try to point her in the right direction and let her keep trying, knowing she’d learn a lot more that way than if I just gave her the answer. I hope nothing in that was taken to be negative or condescending.
>
>> On 22-Sep-2022, at 05:42, Nadine Mullings <nmullings1 at fordham.edu> wrote:
>>
>> This is a listserv that goes out to multiple recipients. I would encourage
>> those who offer help to assume positive intent and share help in that
>> spirit otherwise reserve their additional commentary for outside this
>> chain. It was disappointing to see the blatantly condescending response to
>> this inquiry.
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 6:40 AM Dominique Hagler <dbhagler at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Avi,
>>>
>>> I never asked anyone to DO my homework I was providing what I had so I
>>> could have a better understanding.
>>>
>>> Thank you, I will no longer need service from you all.
>>>
>>> Thank you Steve for taking the time that you did.
>>>

>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Dominique Hagler
>>> Have a great day!
>>>
>>> Sent from an iPhone, so please excuse brevity and typos!

>>> more per hour to actually DO people's HW from beginning to end and not even
>>> think of trying to get them to learn anything. I am afraid even at that
>>> price we might have people who took us seriously and were willing to pay!
>>> LOL!

>>> work. The goal is supposed to be to get them to think and learn and perhaps
>>> explain some facet where they are stuck.

>>> "command" may very much differ from what some of us may mean.

>>> trivial to the complex. There already is built-in python functionality that
>>> deals with key value pairs in data structures with names like dictionary or
>>> hash or associative array. A function that encapsulates that may not be
>>> needed but can be simple enough.

>>> from as in the old days? Probably not as a way to call python and ask it to
>>> store a key/value pair and return immediately seems less than useful.

>>> what does it mean to type "key-value" there, let alone "./key-value.rb" ???

> [...]

Automation Engineer        (reuel.net/resume)
Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)
General Ne'er-do-well      (github.com/LeamHall)