[Tutor] Volunteer teacher

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 05:53:22 EDT 2022

Trent,

Two variables are the ages of the students, and their existing coding skills. Are they teens who need a first language or grizzled Assembler veterans in need of recovery?

For the former, I'd recommend the combination of "Practical Programming" (https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Programming-Introduction-Computer-Science/dp/1680502689) and the Coursera courses by the authors (https://www.coursera.org/learn/learn-to-program  and   https://www.coursera.org/learn/program-code). That gives an easy introduction into doing stuff with computers, and hits both visual and book learners.

For the latter, Python Object Oriented Programming (https://www.amazon.com/Python-Object-Oriented-Programming-maintainable-object-oriented/dp/1801077266).

There's a new book out, Python Distilled (https://www.amazon.com/Python-Essential-Reference-Developers-Library/dp/0134173279) by David Beazley. I liked David's work on the "Python Cookbook", but can't speak about "Python Distilled" from experience.

The Exercism stuff is usually good, but I'd suggest you go through it first. There are quirks in the problem explanations, and some bugs.

Leam

On 7/22/22 10:27, trent shipley wrote:
> I've volunteered to do some informal Python teaching.
>
> What are some useful online resources and tutorials?
>
> What are some good, introductory books--whether ebooks or dead tree.  I'm
> thinking of something very reader friendly, like the "teach yourself in 24
> hours", or "for dummies series", but with good exercises.
>
> Has anyone used https://exercism.org/tracks/python?  I've had good luck
> with the four JavaScript exercises I did, but I did one Scala exercise and
> the grader was broken (I confirmed it with a live mentor.)
>

> Trent

Automation Engineer        (reuel.net/resume)
Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)
General Ne'er-do-well      (github.com/LeamHall)