[Tutor] python update

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 20:17:06 EST 2022

On 14/01/2022 21:25, Jessica Jones via Tutor wrote:

> i have installed python in windows. I see there are many updates all the time
> Can my python update itself or do i have to uinstall it, download it, reinstall it each time again?

Don't sweat about updates, they are not usually needed unless you have a
specific issue that's addressed. I'm still running 3.8 on one computer
and 3.6 on another. I might upgrade after the next major release but
maybe not.

Most releases feature fairly esoteric features that most users
don't need (and in many cases don't even understand!). Look at the
release notes and if its not a major security issue or something you
think you will use then you can ignore it. (Or just ignore everything
but major releases and even then wait till the 2nd or 3rd iteration -
let somebody else find the bugs!)

When I worked in corporate IT we had an official policy of never
upgrading anything till it was at least 2 major versions
behind the bleeding edge. Stable is better than feature rich!

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site