[Tutor] Rich (and Textual) was: Re: Pygubu designer question

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 08:54:17 EST 2022

On 05/02/2022 16:14, Flynn, Stephen (Life & Pensions) wrote:
> Don't forget that there are some truly excellent TUI available ...
> and there's Rich, by the same author.

I've just spent some time going through the rich documentation
and playing with it and I must admit I'm impressed.
In fact I really wish I'd known about rich when I wrote my
curses book because it would have gotten a mention in the
alternatives to curses section for sure.

If I was starting a new non-windowed terminal app I'm pretty
sure I'd choose rich over curses. It doesn't do anything extra
(so far as I can tell) but it does it a lot more easily and
more readably!

I'm slightly less impressed with Textual, just because it
is still in development and less polished. But it too has real
potential, one to watch. It could replace curses for
window based console apps.

Thanks again for highlighting those modules.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site