[Tutor] Fwd: Urgent assistence

ThreeBlindQuarks threesomequarks at proton.me
Thu Dec 1 13:04:46 EST 2022

I was able to read the text of the forwarded message and unfortunately it asks one of those vague questions that is not really one anyone can answer, let alone urgently. It looks suspiciously like some abstract questions we have seen where someone just wants to sit back and watch a debate.

The real question seems to be from someone who does not know much about Python and is asking reasonably if they should start a project using python given rumors it crashes on an abstract 3-body problem.

Generally, this is what some call a "stupid" question. I mean without details, I can assure you every single programming language or environment will hang or crash or stop because it has run out of memory if the problem and the approach are large or inefficient enough.

Python is in many ways better suited to avoid crashes outright but only if you wrap all parts of the code properly so errors are caught. There is no mention of what modules the person may want to use. Presumably the comparison to MATLAB suggests there is a known way using MATLAB, quite possibly using extensions. In general, Python and extensions can do anything MATLAB does and the specific methods and code can make a big difference. There are MATLAB libraries that can be accessed within python and a big question for getting a project done is whether you need to start from scratch or use various pre-written chunks we call modules that are built-in or can be imported.

And you need to look at what makes a problem "blow up" and avoid it. If files get too large, you may want to process them in chunks when that is possible. If your model makes matrices that are very fine-grained and have dimensions or lengths in the trillions, don't do that or find a way to keep chunks of memory on disk and swap them in and out.

There is nothing intrinsic about any language that makes it invulnerable to programs that go too far.

ORIGINAL ATTACHMENT:
Respected Team
Greetings for the day

It is with immense pleasure and with due veneration that I want to pen down this Email to you with respect to my project .I am a Masters Degree student in  Mechanical Engineering in Austria and want to develop a python code for my project on Multibody Dynamics.

My professor told me to contact you in order to know if this project can be done with python or not.I just want to confirm if I can undertake this project in Python .

The supervisors told me that in some stages and cases python crashes when you are handling a mechanical project involving more than 3 multibodies.

I am attaching the project description with this Email .Could you please help me know if I the project is doable with python or not?When this problem can be handled easily with python then it will also be a big contribution to your software team also because in that case python will have a upper hand as compared to competitor softwares like MATLAB etc.

I really wanted to undertake this project in python thats why I am avoiding MATLAB.

Your words will highly be appreciable and taken into consideration.

Please reply me as soon as possible.

Thanking You
Advait

END OF ATTACHMENT