[Tutor] (no subject)

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Sun Aug 14 19:05:00 EDT 2022

On 8/14/22 16:37, dn wrote:
> On 15/08/2022 04.48, Phindile Julia wrote:
>> Hey how to create a Fibonacci list?
>

> Hi Phindile,
> Is this your first post to the list? Welcome!
>
> We volunteer help to learners (and Tutors) who are getting to grips with
> Python. We will help *you* to learn Python and how best to use it, but
> won't give 'homework' answers (wouldn't that be the exact-opposite of
> 'you learning'?)
>
> As it happens, I am currently drafting a coding-challenge, which will
> feature a Fibonacci 'engine' to generate data. So, will be happy to take
> a look at your code so-far and offer a critique.

The Fibonacci sequence is fascinating in its own right, but the topic is
often used to teach recursion to programming students where is it often
hard to explain "why would I want to do that?" - Fibonacci provides one
of the clearer ways to describe it.

It can also be used to illustrate some pretty advanced Python and
computer science topics - mainly because the more numbers you try to
generate with the "most obvious" implementation the slower it gets - and
it gets slow quite rapidly, so this is also a fruitful field for
optimization strategies. I mention this because while we here try to be
as helpful as possible, we sometimes get a bit carried away discussing
nuances - so take what you need from answers based on where you are in
your learning path, and feel free to tune us out in case the discussion
ends up going on!!