[Tutor] Which linux distro is more conducive for learning the Python programming language?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 04:57:52 EDT 2022

On 04/08/2022 03:43, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> Subject: Which linux distro is more conducive for learning the Python
> programming language?

The Linux distro wont make any significant difference. Pyhton is a
general purpoase language that mostly works the same regardless
of OS. This is especially true when learning because you are
unlikely to do anything that is distribution specific.

> Since I have absolutely and totally FREE RHEL developer subscription
> (I don't need to spend a single cent), can I use Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux version 9.0 to learn Python?

Then go with that. Also don't stress about using the latest Python
version. The new features are nerly always advanced things that l
earners don't need to worry about. Just use whatever python comes with
the system, provided its version 3 (some also come with an old v2
installed to support legacy applications)

> Is it the most popular linux distro for learning Python?

I have no idea which is the most ppopular distro for learning
Python. as I say it makes no significant difference.

> for learning Python. Because there are thousands of linux distros out
> there. And I just want to settle down on a particular linux distro and
> version.

The choice of distro is based around things like upgrade frequency, UI
Desktop choice, Software manager tool, access to device drivers etc.
None of it affects Python much.

Indeed even using Windows or MacOS won't change your experience of
learning Python. It is only when you get into more advanced topics
that OS differences become significant. But the difference between
OS is much bigger than the differences betweeen Linux distros.

Just pick one, Then pick a tutorial and follow it. The biggest thing
that will affect how well you learn Python is how much code you write.
The more the better. Any questions feel free to ask here.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site