[Tutor] could someone break this down

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Sun Apr 10 19:50:01 EDT 2022

On 11/04/2022 11.15, Nathan Smith wrote:
> Yeah I reached out via email on the Github page but no response.
> Considering the module was last updated in 2013 I'm not sure if that
> email is even valid :)
> Digging to see if anyone else has figures this though.

Sad, but likely. GitHub is sometimes a great source of source (hah!) but
is all too often a place to put 'stuff that I don't want to be bothered
with any more'...

I doubt that reverse-engineering the code will help, because it only
traverses the DAWG data - it doesn't show how to build the DAWG from a
(British) dictionary in the first place!

ie head meet brick-wall!

> Thanks to the resources provided I think I now have a rough
> understanding of DAWG's but breaking down how the one in the module was
> written to file and such is still challenge.

I was thinking that the concept of building a Finite State Machine to
traverse a DAWG - and to build the DAWG in the first place, would make
quite a good programming (design and coding) assignment...

If GitHub is no help, try 'the cheese shop' aka PyPi (https://pypi.org).
Searching for DAWG realised some familiar 'hit's.

It also mentions tries as an alternative data-structure.

Noted "lexpy" which has been updated more recently (but then, once it's
working, what updates are necessary?). It offers the choice of DAWG or
trie, and seems to feature both the 'building' of the lexicon, and its
(later) interrogation.

Let us know how you get on...
--
Regards,