[Tutor] Basic Question

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri Sep 10 19:33:44 EDT 2021

On 9/10/21 5:24 PM, Alan Gauld wrote:

> The message passing paradigm is the cornerstone of OOP and is
> almost totally ignored in modern OOP teaching  As a result we have
> abominations like Java which is a class based language rather than
> object based and actively encourages people to write non OOP
> programs using objects!

I'd go further and say "forces". AFAIK you can't write a Java program
without writing a class.

Much happier with Python's approach, which is objects all the way down,
but you don't have to create your own object definitions (types, for
which the class syntax is a shortcut) unless the available ones don't
cover your use cases.  Which is good news since I'm writing to a Python
list :)