[Tutor] Python IMAP library

Julius Hamilton juliushamilton100 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 15:42:56 EDT 2021

Hey,

Is there any support community for this Python library? I don’t see any
mention of it at the documentation:
https://docs.python.org/3/library/imaplib.html

Could someone please help me understand the following?

IMAP4.authenticate(*mechanism*, *authobject*)¶
<https://docs.python.org/3/library/imaplib.html#imaplib.IMAP4.authenticate>

Authenticate command — requires response processing.

*mechanism* specifies which authentication mechanism is to be used - it
should appear in the instance variable capabilities in the form
AUTH=mechanism.

When I create an IMAP4() object, I have to edit the capabilities variable
with “AUTH=mechanism”? What mechanisms are permitted or expected?

*authobject* must be a callable object:

data = authobject(response)

Is this another method from the library? What does it do?

It will be called to process server continuation responses; the
*response* argument
it is passed will be bytes. It should return bytes *data* that will be
base64 encoded and sent to the server. It should return None if the client
abort response *should be sent instead.

Changed in version 3.5: string usernames and passwords are now encoded to
utf-8 instead of being limited to ASCII.

Does this return an object which represents a connection to the IMAP server?

Thanks very much,

Julius