[Tutor] Edit program while executing

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 2 20:18:33 EDT 2021

On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 22:22:35 +0200, Julius Hamilton
<juliushamilton100 at gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>For example, with Python - when the script is executed, what happens next?

	Imported modules get compiled into Python byte-code (.pyc files) to
speed processing the next time the module is imported by a program.

	The main file gets compiled to byte-code, but does not get saved as a
.pyc file.

>Does it get compiled into assembly language and sent to the computer’s

	Only if you consider the byte-code to be "assembly' -- but it is really
interpreted at run time.

>On the other hand, if this is impossible with Python, is there any other
>computer language where the computer is reading the program and executing
>it step by step immediately, without a step beforehand where the whole
>program is compiled? In that case it would surely be possible to change the
>program in the middle of execution, I believe?

	LISP, FORTH, and maybe APL, can programatically modify their own code.
But I don't know of any system that allows external editing /while/ a
program is running.

	wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/