[Tutor] precision handling

dn PyTutor at DancesWithMice.info
Fri Oct 1 15:06:20 EDT 2021

On 02/10/2021 06.20, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 23:50:07 +1300, dn via Tutor <tutor at python.org>
> declaimed the following:
>

>> Perhaps the NA-entry applies?
>> https://xkcd.com/2520/ (Symbols and what they mean)
>
> 	I'd have recommended a copy of
> https://www.amazon.com/Real-Computing-Made-Engineering-Calculations/dp/0486442217/

Not only do few institutions teach Numerical Programming these days, but
I've noticed numbers of programmers 'coming through' who don't have
knowledge of, or even a decent mental model of, how a CPU works - up to
and including a failure to have anything more than an understanding of
how a chart of binary and decimal numbers 'line up'.

Which is why we see questions like this one (no reflection on the OP),
and wonder "why?", given that we (dinosaurs) were trained to cope with
the limitations of floating-point without a second-thought.
--
Regards,
=dn