[Tutor] how to analyze thresholded features in an array

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 07:17:59 EST 2021

On 11/11/2021 03:57, jimmah9 wrote:
> I have an array of numerical values (surface pressure on a lat/lon grid).
> Using a constant threshold value I'd like to determine the maximum
> dimension of each thresholded feature in the array. I've made a mask with
> the thresholded value. Any guidance on how to define a feature and
> determine geometric properties of each feature? Thanks in advance.

Is there a question about Python in there somewhere?
It looks like you are asking about the algorithm or math?

Maybe if you gave us some idea of what your data looks
like and what you are trying to do with it?

Remember, this list is composed of Python programmers
not domain experts in your field. You need to show us
what you are trying to accomplish.

For example, what does "making a mask" mean? It's not
a Python thing... And what does the "maximum dimension
of each thresholded feature" mean? Again, it's not
Python speak.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site