[Tutor] How does the interpreter determine how many decimal places to display for a float?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 15 17:49:05 EDT 2021

On 15/05/2021 19:45, boB Stepp wrote:

> I have not studied C.  Looking over the referenced source code,  why
> do C programmers use such cryptic acronyms for their naming?  ...
> The naming used in this file is reminiscent of my
> distant FORTRAN days.  Ugh!

That's basically it. C and Fortran are kind of concurrent.
The earliest C compilers had name length limits of 6
(or sometimes 8) characters. You could have names up
to 32 characters but only the first 6 (or 8) counted
for uniqueness.

That tradition has become somewhat embedded even though
modern C allows names of hundreds of characters!

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site