[Tutor] OT: "Mercurial" CPUs miscalculating and corrupting data

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 23:01:10 EDT 2021

A year or two ago I asked some questions relating to how likely stored
data is to become corrupted.  I just read the following article, "FYI:
Today's computer chips are so advanced, they are more 'mercurial' than
precise – and here's the proof
Rarely seen miscalculations now crop up frequently at cloud hyperscale" at
https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/04/google_chip_flaws/

Apparently Google and Facebook are increasingly noticing aberrant CPU
behavior.  Fascinating -- at least for me -- read!

Cheers!
boB Stepp