[Tutor] [OT] Re: How is "set(ls).add('a') evaluated? [Was: Re: A program that can check if all elements of the list are mutually disjoint]

David bouncingcats at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 22:53:14 EDT 2021

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 at 07:42, dn via Tutor <tutor at python.org> wrote:
> On 07/06/2021 09.54, dn via Tutor wrote:

> >> My sincere apologies, David (*not* dn)!  I cannot seem to keep the
> >> "bouncing cats" segregated from the " dancing (with) mice" in my head,
> >> not to mention the same first names!

> It's easy-enough: I'm the better-looking one!

haha, that's two days in a row now that this thread has
given me a good laugh :)

The first time was the mental association of the
dancing mice and the bouncing cats, very amusing.

By the way, bouncingcats is nothing to do with
felines. It's just a throwaway name that popped
into my head many years ago when trying to come
up with something that didn't clash with account
names that were already in use. I'm not particularly
fond of it, and I have many different email accounts,
but somehow this one ended up being the one that
I use purely for mailing lists.

"bouncingcats" is a reference to vocal percussion.
"the imitation or approximation of percussion instruments
... music with your mouth ..." [1]
Some time later, it was even used as the title of a
documentary film on the subject [2].

Because repeatedly vocalising the phrase
  bouncingcatsbouncingcatsbouncingcats....
creates a percussive sound similar to
the rhythm tracks of contemporary dance music.

When it gets boring, you can throw in "baboonsandpigs..."

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatboxing
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouncing_Cats