[Tutor] Correct style of line break when chaining methods

dn PyTutor at DancesWithMice.info
Mon Jul 12 21:21:29 EDT 2021

On 13/07/2021 00.44, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 7/11/21 10:52 PM, dn via Tutor wrote:
>>
>> 0 bring back punch-cards!
>>
>> 1 I can't remember why "79", instead of the 80-column preceding
>> 'standard' (which also followed punched cards, even when
>> terminals/screens were capable of more than 24x80 - but back-then some
>> languages mandated the use of the first columns and perhaps also the
>> last). Perhaps the 80th column would be where the "\" line-continuation
>> character fits?

Thanks @Richard and @Dennis for the trips down 'memory lane'. Yes, there
were several different applications for the last (and first) columns on
punched-cards.

What I really meant was: <<<I can't remember why *Python (PEP-8) settled
on the* "79">>>, as opposed to the full, 'round', 80 (or some other
number of columns) - hence the "\" comment...

--
Regards,
=dn