[Tutor] (no subject)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 10 20:10:14 EST 2021

On 09/02/2021 15:30, ken c wrote:

> I am wanting to build a MP3 player using raspberry pi as a base,
> using a portable hard drive to hold the music, etc.

That is certainly doable but ambitious, especially if its
the fist such project you have tackled!

> I want to be able to access music, short stories, audio books,

So far they are all just audio files so no issue.

> ...old time radio and possibly movies.

I don;t know what you mea by old time radio - is it recordings
or do you mean listen to live AM/FM broadcasts?
If the latter its a whole new ballgame! Still possible but
significantly different to the other options.

Movies would presumably just be the soundtrack or are
you planning on adding a screen too? If just the soundtrack
things are still doable.

> know nothing about how to build the software in order to make this happen.

We can help with the Python parts but most of the hard work
will be best done using one or other of the command-line
audio players available on Linux (the Pi OS). Your Python
code will comprise a UI and some calls to control the
player software.

There are some excellent raspberryPi forums that will be
happy to help with the hardware (and software for that
matter!) If you find their advice too complex come back
here and we can try to decipher it for you.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site