[Tutor] Copying one text file into another

Alan Gauld learn2program at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 19:12:29 EDT 2021

This sounds like it could be homework so I'll suggest a method but not
show you any code.

If it doesn't work show us ypiur code and we will try to help.

On 03/08/2021 19:55, Ed Connell wrote:
> Suppose you have two text files, A.txt and B.txt.  You want to copy A into
> B at some designated place .Of course there is copy and paste, but I got
> interested in how you could do this with Python. Can you help?

Assume File A:

A1
A2
A3
A4

And file B

B1
B2
B3

So you want to insert B into A after line A2.

open A.txt for reading
open OUT.txt for writing
for each line in A
     write line to OUT.txt.
     if line is A2:
         open B.txt for reading
         for each line in B
             write line to OUT.txt
         close B.txt
close A.txt
close OUT.txt
rename A.txt to A.bak   (or just delete it if you feel brave!)
rename OUT.txt to A.TXT

Try that in Python.

--
Alan G