[Tutor] Comprehensive textbook (not for beginners)

David Rock david at graniteweb.com
Sat Sep 5 12:58:47 EDT 2020

* Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org> [2020-09-05 17:43]:
> On 05/09/2020 16:59, Mats Wichmann wrote:
>
> > Programming Python still sits on my shelf, complete with the little
> > banner "2nd Edition - Covers Python 2", to tell you how old that one is.
> > Haven't opened it for well over a decade.
>
> I still have the 2e of this too. :-)
>
> This is one book where the edition makes a huge difference!

You aren't kidding.  The 1st Edition was actually my first Python book
which I picked up _before_ the turn of the century.  :-)
IIRC, it focused on v1.3 (maybe 1.5).  It's still on the shelf with 2e
and 3e (finally switched to PDF after that).

The change in focus through each edition is a very real thing. Maybe
that's a reflection of how Python has grown/changed over the years.

--
David Rock
david at graniteweb.com