[Tutor] Help with printing turtle Graphics

dn PyTutor at DancesWithMice.info
Sat Oct 24 21:27:41 EDT 2020

On 25/10/2020 07:57, Gerald OBrien wrote:
> I started using “Turtle Graphics” and was able to do a bit of good making shapes and doodles.
>
> Here is my question, basic as it was seem: I have made a couple of things in the Turtle Graphics, using the .py suffix.
> It seem to me that I used to make some of these drawings and be able to PRINT THEM out on a printer. I was out of the game for a few months , while attending the VA Hospital Blind Rehab Unit in Biloxi, Mississippi. When I cam back the Python version had upgraded a number of times and I downloaded the newest version.
>
> I noticed that when I screen printed the Turtle Graphic image, it would appear on another screen, adjacent to my screen.
> I tried to print it, using a Printer,  or save it as either a jpeg or PNG suffix and it did nothing. I was not able to take a screen shot of it and save it to the clipboard.

We have to solve this - just going back to G-B-P would be more than
enough 'punishment' for this ex-CB!

Knowing nothing more than theory about 'turtles' (and their place in
learning logic), some time back I attempted a 'course' in preparation to
helping at a kids' activity. I thought it odd that there is no
screen-print - particularly for kids who would want to 'take something
home' (on paper, cf on their device). The explanation is that
Python-turtle is purely about manipulating the shape/path on-screen.
Plus finding a cross-platform printing-solution is difficult.

During the course, we had to provide assignment results - and with their
being interested in the construction details/process, I used
screen-recorder software. For 'stills' I used "screenshots". (apologies:
I can't recommend specific software for a Mac - my system is Linux, so I
use "SimpleScreenRecorder" and "ScreenShot") The latter allows a choice
between 'snapping' the whole screen, the application window, or a
manually-defined area; and saves directly to a file, cf the clipboard.

As examples, here's a simple play on the phrase/philosophy "it's turtles
all the way down" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down):
https://danceswithmice.info/Py3Course/TurtlesAllTheWayDown.png
https://danceswithmice.info/Py3Course/TurtlesAllTheWayDown.mp4
(no prizes for guessing where in the world I live, these days)

Once you've finished playing with the 'turtle', you may like to take a
look at Pygame. Pygame has a bunch of decorative methods for drawing on
the screen...
--
Regards =dn