[Tutor] Curses Python: F1 => Xfce Terminal documentation

alexkleider alexkleider at protonmail.com
Sat Nov 28 20:59:00 EST 2020

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, November 28, 2020 10:44 AM, Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> wrote:

> On 28Nov2020 16:56, alexkleider alexkleider at protonmail.com wrote:

> > I tried the virtual console but it resulted in bizarre characters.
>
> If you mean the non-X11 system console (unsure) that might be a font
> issue.

I was referring to the screen which shows up if one presses CTL/ALT F1...6 (and then ALT F7 to get back to the GUI.)

> I think not from the docs, again. You may well find that $TERM is set to
> "xterm" or one of its colour variants so that your curses programmes use
> a working terminfo entry, which maps capabilities like "clear screen"
> and "move cursors" etc to the necessary escape sequences. But it looks
> to be a distinct terminal emulator.

alex at X1v2:~$ echo $TERM
xterm-256color

So it would appear that you are correct but the terminal I've been using (the one that appears when I hit the icon that looks like a terminal) is the 'xfce4-terminal'.

Again, thanks for your support.
Alex