[Tutor] Indentation Frustrations

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Wed Nov 18 19:17:53 EST 2020

On 11/18/20 3:19 PM, Nathaniel Dodson wrote:

>      if keys[pygame.K_LEFT]:
>
>      if keys[pygame.K_RIGHT]:
>
> I'm not getting what's going on. I know about mixing tabs with spaces, and
> I'm not doing that. That's what I learned through Googling the issue.

a statement that introduces a block (ones that end with a colon) have to
actually have an indented block. Those two don't. Python doesn't know
for sure it's an error before it sees a line that can't be correct,
which would be the second "if" statement from the included snip.

If you're developing iteratively and want a placeholder to avoid those
kinds of errors you can use "pass" (traditional) or the ellipsis
operator ...   as in:

if keys[pygame.K_LEFT]:
     pass

if keys[pygame.K_RIGHT]: