[Tutor] Trigonometric Functions in Python

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Tue May 26 09:03:05 EDT 2020

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 09:43:38AM +0200, Peter Otten wrote:
>boB Stepp wrote:
>> x**2 + y**2 = r**2
>>
>> If we arbitrarily choose x = y = 1 for our 45 degree angle we would have:
>
>I think the usual approach is to choose r = 1. Then for a point on the unit
>circle the arc starting at three'o'clock (x=1, y=0) is the radians, y the
>sine, and x the cosine. Pythagoras applies all the same ;)

I originally considered to go with the unit circle approach, but thought
that what I did choose to do would be clearer to someone new to
trigonometry.  Based on my two kids they initially found the unit circle
approach confusing when they first encountered it and responded well to
just thinking about about a simple right triangle without explicitly
talking about coordinate planes, etc.  I did cheat a little and label my
triangle sides conventionally for leading into a coordinate plane
discussion thought.

--
Wishing you only the best,

boB Stepp