[Tutor] Python Beginner Book Advice

DL Neil PyTutor at danceswithmice.info
Thu Mar 19 22:52:26 EDT 2020

On 20/03/20 3:37 PM, boB Stepp wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 5:22 AM Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org> wrote:
>

>> My recommendation for a Python 3 beginner is
>> Mark Sommerville's "Programming in Python 3" from Addison Wesley.
>
> Did you mean Mark Summerfield?

Yes he did, and in an earlier post I misspelled Wesley Chun's name.

In both cases though, the book is almost ten years old. Whilst I have
used both (Chun's dates back to v1, and Summerfield's as a two-to-three
assistance), I would criticise the latter as a new-learner's tool. The
first chapter is called "Rapid Introduction to Procedural Programming",
which rather neatly summarises the point. I'm not sure that I would have
enjoyed it so much, were I completely-new to Python at the time.

WebRefs:

https://www.pearson.com/us/higher-education/program/Summerfield-Programming-in-Python-3-A-Complete-Introduction-to-the-Python-Language-2nd-Edition/PGM156621.html

http://corepython.com/

--